Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Buckling down to basics

Hey Everyone. So yeah, I've procrastinated once again but I'm here to redeem myself.
I have to share with you some stuff I learned in class on each chapter of my computer book, so bear with me while I give you the gory details. Don't get me wrong, I love my class and my teacher rocks. Procrastination just seems to come back and bite me in the butt sometimes. So here goes.....

Chapter#1

In this chapter, we learned that:
  • college seniors use the Internet an average of 11 hours per week
  • the internet is used for so many things, from business to personal, to just shooting the breeze
  • the internet can be used for good and for evil and this class is supposed to help me to learn how to use it for the former
  • a computer is made up of 3 main parts - an Operating System, which is literally like the "heart" of the computer and is needed in order to run other programs like Microsoft Word and fun stuff like that; a Central Processing Unit (CPU), which pretty much digests all the information that's incoming (AHHHHH!!!!INFO OVERLOAD!); and the Memory, which in humans unfortunately diminishes the longer they stare at its cold glass monitor.
  • There are two kinds of memory - Random Access Memory or RAM, and long-term memory.
  • So the RAM kinda acts like Dory in Finding Nemo and loses any info when the computer is shut off because the CPU reads and writes to the RAM so quickly. Each program requires some amount of RAM.
  • Long-term storage includes hardware that stores files you create and software and its data files. Examples we were given include hard drives, CD-ROMs and flash drives (my personal fave - don't leave home without it! I actually have a backup just in case I lose it. Be prepared!)

So that's just some of the stuff we learned on Chapter #1.

On to Chapter #2!

~Vanessa ;) <><

No comments:

Post a Comment