Sunday, April 4, 2010

"Do This in Remembrance of Me"


"In the Garden of Gethsemane, guards move in to arrest Jesus. Suddenly, Peter explodes into action, attacking the guards. Ultimately, Peter pulls out a sword and cuts off the ear of one of the guards. Peter is eventually subdued, and Jesus tells him to drop his sword, saying, "Those who live by the sword die by the sword." Then Jesus reaches down, picks up the guard's severed ear, and looking into the guard's eyes, heals him." - Tony Perkins
   Notice Jesus said, "Those who live by the sword die by the sword." He didn't say those who use the sword or even pick up the sword or defend others with the sword. To live by something is a huge thing. People these days quote Jesus on that, not because they really agree with His teaching, but they want to twist it into what they want it to mean - that we should stop fighting and live in peace with each other, which is all well and good for us, but how about those who we had started fighting for who cannot defend themselves? I'm sure they want peace and no more war, but it is not within their power to bring peace to their land. They need an outside rescuer to come in and defend them against the enemy, allowing those who'd been lying on the ground in sheer terror to once again arise and regain the strength they'd lost.
   As you can probably tell, I'm all for our armies going into Iraq to defend the people there and eliminate a common enemy. Seeing the love for our armies in the eyes of the people they are defending brings tears to mine and turn my heart toward them. There's a worship song that says "Break my heart for what breaks Yours." I keep having to make that my prayer to God, for it is far too easy for my heart to be calloused to the things going on around me in such a fallen society.
   As morals break down, people are hurt because of it, whether it be their bodies, minds, or hearts. I know I have to fight a constant battle for my mind. I've personally found that whatever the body finds to do or where it goes affects the mind, which in turn affects the heart. It's a total domino affect. Our first line of defense is our outward bodies' senses - our eyes, ears, and mouth. "Whatever you do, work at it wholeheartedly as though you were doing it for the Lord and not merely for people." - Colossians 3:23
   I recently stumbled with something I've struggled with for years...something the Evil One knows is my weakest link. It came first through my outward senses - my eyes. Then it pulsed through my mind which twisted it and entertained it 'til my head pounded. Then came my heart's turn to feel the blow. It literally cramped inside me and screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" I could feel the pain and the shame and the ache that overwhelmed every part of my insides. I was convicted.
   Sure, the conscience has quite a lot to do with conviction, but it ultimately takes something more than just your own inside voice telling you "this is wrong" to get you to change the destructive pattern that could eat at you and taint everything you take in 'til the end of your days. It takes the Holy Spirit's conviction...a gentle, yet firm voice behind the scenes warning you of impending danger, telling you that it's not too late...it's NEVER too late to turn back toward the light and surrender to the One Who can restore your mind. Yes, it's a long and painful journey, but in the words of a respected author, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one solitary step." You'll never get there if you don't start, and when you lack the strength to begin, call on Him to be your strength. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble." - Psalm 46:1
   Paul said "Each time, He (Jesus) told me, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me."  - 2 Corinthians 12:9
   God totally reminded me of that through the convicting work of the Holy Spirit. I felt like dirt. I felt I had fallen and couldn't rise on my own. I was unworthy of His love and forgiveness, yet still He gently encouraged me to turn from what I was doing and rather to things that glorify Him. He spoke through Paul when he wrote, "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if there is anything virtuous and praiseworthy, THINK ON THESE THINGS." - Philippians 4:8.
   My pastor had talked of how anytime he was attacked with temptation, he'd ask Jesus to stand between him and it. I remembered that and asked Jesus to stand between me and this thing that beckoned to me and had deceived me into thinking if it felt good it was right. I closed my eyes and pictured Jesus standing right there in front of me, me hiding behind Him for protection. But then I was hit with another thought. Jesus wouldn't have His back to us. After all, didn't He tell Satan to get behind Him? And if Satan's behind Jesus, then that means Jesus is looking right at us! Wow! That meant that when Jesus stood between me and this temptation, that rather than showing me His back, He gave me something so much better to look at than the temptation just over his shoulder - His eyes!!! I imagined those beautiful eyes full of love and forgiveness and the boldness to stand there and be my strong tower, my protection. He gazes into my eyes, giving me the choice between looking for what lie just beyond Him, or to fix my eyes on His, focusing on Him, choosing Him over anything else that tries to come between us, that fights for my attention.
   Yet another thought ran through my mind like a ray of sunshine splits the clouds to reveal its glory. My yearnings, my desires, should stop here, with Him, my Jesus! Okay, like quite a lot of you, I'm single, having just gone through a painful breakup and feeling that void that just pulls at me like crazy. But my Jesus, right then and there while I driving home from class, reminded me that He could fill the void with His love and healing; that even though it was a hard and slow process, healing was taking place, perhaps too slow to see it happening before my eyes, but happening, and so beautifully, like the pieces of a puzzle falling perfectly into place. I decided right then that I would look to Him as "my everything." My desire stops with Jesus.
   In this Easter season, I pray that you allow His truth to penetrate the deepest parts of your heart and mind, that you would celebrate what Easter is all about - how Jesus conquered the enemy's power by breaking through the barrier of death - not only of the body, but also of the spirit - that we may, through Him, have everlasting life and not fear the rusting and decay of this mortal cage that keeps us here.
May you embrace life in Christ!!!
"You are my strength when I am weak.
You are the treasure that I seek. You are my All in all.
When I fall down, You pick me up.
When I am dry, You fill my cup. You are my All in all.
Seeking You as a precious jewel.
Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my All in all."
~V'essa ;) <><

No comments:

Post a Comment